Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Project

I am a notorious list maker. Books I have read, movies I want to see, clothing I will buy as soon as I graduate, etc... I have always had to write things down to think clearly or get my head straight. I have mountains of un-done to-do lists and years worth of music that I still haven't downloaded. It is a crying shame I am not a great writer because writing has been the great constant in my life. The list making habit is harmless, I never feel guilt or remorse about my unfinished tasks, it is the process.

But I just finished reading Julie and Julia by Julia Powell. This book struck a nerve with me. I read it in 2 days and cried through the last 15 pages. I was crying because it was so poignant and meaningful to me right now. I am 30, I feel useless and tired most of the time, and I want so much to accomplish something for myself. I admire her so much. When I was finished with the book I felt this horrible emptiness, like I had shared in this endeavor, but had felt none of the accomplishment.

The next morning (this morning) I was entering my "read" books into the goodreads website and I realized that I had read 72 books in a little over a year. I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I read like a champ. I was wondering if I should try for 100 this year. Say by next 4th of July. I also wonder if there are others out there that were inspired by Julie to challenge themselves.

So I am going to challenge myself. I am not taking this too seriously; after all, I have been in college for 12 years. I am not exactly someone who finishes things. But now I have written it down, and told my boyfriend (who incidently bought me 5 books today) I will have a few cheats, a few graphic novels, a few kids books, but I will try to balance it out with some biggies too like Infinite Jest and Mason/Dixon.

I don't think I will make it, but what if I do? How would that feel?

Book Project
Book 1: The Pilgrimage- Paul Coehlo pages-265



1 comment:

Julie Powell said...

Hey. I'm glad J&J inspired you to a challenge - my experience is that it really can be the way out of a bad situation. And I am sorry about the 19 year old fucktards. Screw 'em.