Monday, July 23, 2007

Second Wind

It is my fault that I got off on the wrong foot with Bill Bryson. I thought he would be different. I had this idea of him being really cool and well traveled and much different than he is. I set him up for failure. For the first 70 pages or so, I didn't really like him. I figured him for the kind of guy that I waited tables on for years. The kind that say your name a lot while being passive aggressive then doesn't tip. And he may still be that guy, but now he has grown on me like a square friend's dad. He is more endearing when he isn't trying to be funny. When he tries too hard, I am suddenly a rebellious teen wanting to do whatever he is making fun of, just to be the far opposite of whatever "thing" he can't understand. I have a bit of a daddy issue.

I am on page 179. Still moving slow, but I think I will make speedy work of the next few books. I should have reading time this week.

Updates: My dog is doing great. No more blood baths. The horrible group project at school is in writing but I won't be finished with the final presentation until Thursday. It will be an embarrassing fiasco. I am actually looking forward to it a little. It will be the grand finale to a horrible experiment in communications. Ironically it IS a communications course.

No comments: