Sunday, July 15, 2007

Next

Hey. I am done. My brain feels fried from all the school work I had to catch up today, and then reading almost 1oo pages of Salinger non-stop. I don't know if I really liked book 4 or not. Salinger kind of hits me like that sometimes, I may not know for years. Then suddenly, I will think,"I need to read that part about Seymour's tie again."

Okay, the rest of the afternoon is dedicated making an afghan and watching movies.

By the way, I have been asked, "How on earth do you read so much? Do you just skim?" No. I really do read every word. I am a notoriously fast reader. (thanks to childhood escapism and my 4th grade teacher Mrs. Dunn!) But also, at this particular point in time, I am in 2 classes and have no job. Plus, I ride the bus which makes for hours of waiting and riding, waiting and riding. It helps that I keep farmer's hours, so I read chapters and chapters before you little dreamlets are even awake. Trust me, come fall, things will be a'changin. I will be in school full time, and probably having regular panic attacks. This is my normal. That is why the need for speed in these lazy summer days.

The announcer had them off on the subject of housing developments, and the little Burke girl said she hated houses that all looked alike- meaning a long row of identical 'development' houses. Zooey said they were 'nice'. He said it would be very nice to come home and be in the wrong house. To eat dinner with the wrong people by mistake, sleep in the wrong bed by mistake, and kiss everybody good-bye in the morning thinking they were your own family. He said he even wished everybody in the world looked exactly alike. He said you'd keep thinking everybody you met was your wife or your mother or father, and people would always be throwing their arms around each other wherever they went, and it would look 'very nice'.-Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour an Introduction- J.D. Salinger

Book Project

Book 5: The Hours-Michael Cunningham pages:228

No comments: